March 10, 2011

At the Sock Hop


I have a long-running obsession with the 1950's - it all started with my mom throwing a sock hop with the PTA when I was in elementary school. What began as a poodle skirt and Peter Pan collar (when I find the evidence I will post it) evolved into knit wiggle skirts with angora sweaters and rhinestoned stilettos in high school. More recently I've been listening to lots of Connie Francis and saving pennies for a record player.

I found the above adorably innocent yet slutty dress by Bernie Dexter and thought I'd try to make something like it. So far I have this Vintage Vogue pattern, and I'm thinking I'll ditch the front placket altogether and slip a zipper in the side seam and somehow conjure a sweetheart neckline. Even better, if I can complete this by May for the Wanda Jackson concert.

Also in the works - a playsuit for my friend Courtney to wear at car shows this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment